Tuesday, November 18, 2014

DIY: Leaf Bowl


Here in the USA we celebrate a holiday called Thanksgiving. This day, filled with stuffing our faces with turkey, potatoes, cranberries, and more, and spending time with family, is smack-dab between Halloween and Christmas. For people is many other countries, they can begin the transition into the festive times, but here in America, we have to hold onto autumn a bit longer. Sure it is still autumn everywhere in the northern hemisphere until December 21st, but honestly I'd like to start getting ready for the holidays and welcoming the winter season. However, I must restrain that urge for one more week until after Thanksgiving.

Though getting ready for Thanksgiving is enjoyable, it just isn't the same as Christmas time. This is probably because I tend to not decorate for Thanksgiving nearly as much as I do for Christmas. This year I've made it my mission to (pumpkin) spice it up by garnishing everything with autumnal pieces! Rather than just toss store bought items around my house, I've taken the initiative to create a few bits even. That being said, I want to share one of the pieces I made over the weekend, and steps so you can make it yourself! And if you don’t celebrate Thanksgiving, but live in the northern hemisphere, remember that it’s still autumn, so this craft is for you, too! :) 

Materials:
Fake leaves
Matte Mod Podge
A balloon
Scissors and/or pliers
Foam brush
A bowl


Steps:
1. If your leaves aren't already individual, cut them so they are, and then put them in a pile to the side. Use the pliers if there is metal within the plastic stems and scissors if not.
*Be sure to have plenty of leaves available. It's better to have extra than not enough! I gathered around 30 and used all but a few. My leaves were on the smaller size, too, so how many you use is dependent on that.
2. Blow up a balloon and place it in your bowl. The bowl acts as a place to keep the balloon stabilized as you're gluing the leaves together.
3. Begin gluing the leaves onto the balloon and to each other using the Mod Podge and foam brush. 
           *Note: I made the leaves appear ombred. I arranged them by having the darker ones at the bottom of the bowl and the lighter ones around the edge. Do as you please! 
4. If you end up being like me and use A LOT of Mod Podge, let the leaves dry for 2 days or until there is no white showing. (Unlike in the photo below :P)
5. Pop the balloon!
6. Trim the excess glue off with scissors and yer done!!
            *Here's a picture that shows the ombre effect better.

Hope you enjoyed this DIY! Let me know if you try it!

Have a lovely day and stay fabulous!!

~Moll

31 comments:

  1. This is such an amazing and cute DIY project! I definitely think that this would make a perfect addition to any Thanksgiving decor! Such a great blog post :)

    Becky, x
    http://undertheseabeauty.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is super cute! I'd love to make this as a candle holder!

    Best regards,
    Vanessa Mae
    http://inwordswithlove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cool! I think it's such a neat idea! I don't celebrate thanksgiving but the food sounds amazing. I hope you enjoy your thanksgiving. x

    nikimint

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds amazing!

    Check out my new post Here!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is brilliant ...I am going to print it out and give it to my mam because she is the crafter of the family she will love this and then she can make me one .. win win ...
    Thank you xox

    http://www.rainbowsandunicornsblog.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  6. So beautiful and simple as well! I love it :)

    Tiny x http://asktiny.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great DIY, thanks for sharing! <3

    I have a new post up today, and I would love to know your thoughts:

    http://electricsunrise.blogspot.co.uk/

    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, what a cool idea! We don't celebrate Thanksgiving where I live, but it still works as an adorable piece of fall decoration.

    mettenord.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Molly, is a great diy for fall, new follower here on gfc, I invite you on mine. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's SO cool and inventive, I love it! Abi :)
    MyW0rldMyView

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW...this is awesome. Let's connect through Twitter and Bloglovin. What say?

    Love,

    Bong's Belleza

    ReplyDelete
  12. this DIY is sooo beautiful!!!

    What about following each other? I would really love to keep in touch honey!
    I just followed you, would be delighted if you could return the favor!
    xoxo Colli // my blog - tobeyoutiful // Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow nice work!!!
    Have a wonderful weekend!!!:)))

    Besos, desde España, Marcela♥

    ReplyDelete
  14. so creative!

    xx
    graciellashiaryn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so cool & creative! I absolutely love your blog :)

    xoxox

    www.becksbabyy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amazing!

    http://kolorowaosobowosc.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. omg! it looks amazing dear!! very creative! nice post! would you like to follow each other on gfc and bloglovin? it would be great! let me know! kisses!:)

    www.fashionizein.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow, this is actually an amazing idea! :) great diy...


    http://octobergraves.blogspot.com/
    http://instagram.com/octobergraves

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great work doll, you are so creative!
    You have a very nice blog, I will be glad if we follow each other, just let me know in my blog and I follow back
    Kisses

    http://www.alisagromova.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, amazing DIY! This is super cool!
    Follow each other? Let me know on my blog! :)
    xoxo

    beblondie.blogspot.com

    beblondie.blogpsot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. nice post

    http://teryskills.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very lovely post!

    I follow you on GFC. I hope you will follow me back (if you haven't yet). Thanks!

    xoxo;
    BEAUTYEDITER.COM
    LIKE BEAUTYEDITER.COM ON FACEBOOK
    FOLLOW BEAUTYEDITER.COM ON BLOGLOVIN

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello my friend this is very smart post and i admire someone who can make diy which is very personalized

    would you like to follow each other> let me know

    http://www.fashionculturediary.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete
  24. It looks great. :)
    Would you like to follow each other? Just let me know, where (GFC, Bloglovin, Twitter) you are following, and I follow you back. :)

    P&P style ❤ ☯ ☮ --- DIY --- fashion --- and more --- ☮ ☯ ❤

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very creative :D

    Awesome blog, wanna follow each other on GFC?
    http://programmerstyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  26. Nice blog ;)
    Followed via gfc, care to follow back?
    http://www.aureliabu.lt/

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for following! I followed back <3

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love your blog
    Please check mine --> My lips are Poison
    Hope you can have a look at my blog. If you wanna follow each other, comment in my blog when done.

    xx
    Ly

    ReplyDelete
  29. That's so creative! It's so pretty and perfect for the time of the year <3
    Love Kaci x
    kacistevens.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete